After a probationary period, all Community members make the following promises. These promises are shared by members of Lee Abbey Communities in Devon and London as well as the Small Missional Communities:
- Do you affirm before this Community your personal faith in Christ and your desire through prayer, study and service to seek a deep and mature faith?
- Do you understand by this that your mind, your time, your talents, your possessions and all your relationships are to be increasingly surrendered to Christ as Lord?
- Do you promise to be loyal to the Community in its aims, its work, its standards of behaviour and its disciplines?
- Are you prepared to learn to live in fellowship, being open to be known for what we are, accepting one another in Christ, and saying of others nothing that could not be said to them personally if love and discipline required it?
- Have you accepted the discipline of regular private recollection through Bible reading and daily prayer?
- Do you recognise that the regular corporate communion is an important part of our life and work together?
- Are you ready to serve, in every way, those who come to us and those you meet in daily life, seeking to help one another to a clearer and deeper knowledge of Christ, through your actions, attitudes and words?
- Are you willing to welcome the stranger, be a voice for the voiceless and work to alleviate poverty and injustice?
- Are you willing to work to cherish and protect God’s creation which God the Father loves and entrusts to our care?